My name is Sheri Yarbrough, but my pen name is S. L. Yarbrough. I have a master's degree in Applied Behavioral Science with an Emphasis in Psychology and Criminal Justice. I began writing at an early age. I am an avid reader and movie buff. I was motivated to finish my book after I had a stroke last June. I didn't know if I would be able to talk, walk, eat properly, and write. I refused to be defeated and worked hard to regain what I had lost. I am not 100% but close to 90%. I was able to finish and publish my first book on October 21, 2021. I am currently working on the second volume in my series.
1.What inspires you most to write?
I have always loved writing and telling stories. I find inspiration in my dreams and while listening to music. I find myself inspired to write when it's perfect outside. For me, perfect is either warm, sunny, a slight breeze, flowers in bloom, and trees green or when it is Fall and the leaves have changed to beautiful colors.
2. What is your favorite genre?
Horror and Fantasy are my favorite genres.
3. Who is one author you admire if any and why?
Judy Bloom was influential to me as an author. I loved her books and they resonated with the issues I had while growing up.
4. How do you overcome blank writing spells?
I read. Reading gives me a break from my writing and motivates me to finish. Sometimes it takes seeing a finished novel to help show what yours may be missing.
5. What legal publishing advice can you give?
Make sure you copyright your work.
6. How many books have you written, are any a bestseller yet?
I have one complete, published book. Four incomplete novels. No bestseller yet!
7. If you had the opportunity to rewrite one movie script which would it be, why?
Flowers in the Attic. I was displeased with the script and how it was presented.
8. What are some difficulties you've experienced in your writing career; how do you handle book critiques/criticism?
My health has caused difficulties for me. I have Lupus and experienced a stroke last year. I take critiques and criticisms and evaluate what is being said. If it is constructive with valid points, I will take it in serious consideration.
9. What are your best experiences in your writing career?
My book signing events. Meeting people who enjoy my book.
10. Do you prefer to write in silence and or have some sort sound in the background?
I have a few writing soundtracks created on Spotify I listen to. Very rarely do I write with no background noise.
11. What are some encouraging words you'd give to another author/writer?
Don't give up!
12. How did you decide the pricing of your material; how did you go about promotion/advertising and distribution of your work?
I look at what other books like mine were selling for. I used Amazon KDP, Ingram spark, Draft2Digital, and Google Play Books to publish and distribute my book. I paid for ads through Amazon.