Updated: Jan 5, 2021
Author Writer Interview
1.What inspires you most to write?
I’ve always had a vivid and nagging imagination. The only way I calm my thoughts were to write them down. Eventually my thoughts became novels. I gain so much satisfaction from bringing a thought to a full-blown documented moment in time in someone’s life. 2. What is your favorite genre?
Suspense/Thriller with a sprinkle of self-reflection and empowerment.
3. Who is one author you admire if any and why?
Me! 4. How do you overcome blank writing spells? I don’t experience writer’s block. I write as I see it. If stretches of time pass between me writing happens it’s because that part of the story is going through labor. I know as soon as it’s born, I will see it clearly.
5. What legal publishing advice can you give? Do what’s best for you. Research all methods of publishing and see where you fit best according to your goals.
6. How many books have you written, are any a bestseller yet? I’ve written five books and I have no idea if any have been bestsellers. I don’t know where to check to find out. I’d love that honorable title! However, I’m more focused on reading reviews!! That means someone is reading my work and I’m having an impact on someone’s life! I like that be it five or five million people.
7. If you had the opportunity to rewrite one movie script which would it be, why?
Nothing stands out to me. I’ve said a million times that I’ve could have written that better. However, if I could recall those movies then I’d be lying! The writer obviously made an impact enough for it to stick with me. On the other hand, if I’m watching someone’s movie then they’ve made it further than me as an artist, so I look at them as inspiration and have the much-deserved respect for them, ultimately. 8. What are some difficulties you've experienced in your writing career; how do you handle book critiques/criticism?
The most difficult aspect of writing is finding the time to promote and get my books in people’s hands. I work full time, I’m married, and I have to find the time and energy to promote my work. Also, identify the best platform to get the most impact.
So far, I’ve had pretty positive responses to my works. I always remember that not everything is for everyone so if someone isn’t as impressed with my work as I’d hope, they are entitled to their preference. I appreciate their time and feedback just like I would with a person that loved my work. 9. What are your best experiences in your writing career?
People learning a lesson from my work or feeling empowered. Someone used my book, LaLa, as a learning tool for at risk female teens. That was awesome! I also included a part of several battered women’s stories in my book Red Bottoms for Brains, it was my way of honoring their ability to survive. I think most of them bought it so that felt great. 10. Do you prefer to write in silence and or have some sort sound in the background?
I write in silence although I can tune out noise around me. Sometimes I write next to my husband when he’s watching tv.
11. What are some encouraging words you'd give to another author/writer?
Have fun!! 12. How did you decide the pricing of your material; how did you go about promotion/advertising and distribution of your work? Amazon determined it. I use social media mainly for now. I beg people to read my work!! Many people have become millionaires that started from selling their products out the trunk of their car from a parking lot. I think my way is equivalent but a tad more glamorous!
13. Why should anyone read your book?
Readers want to be swept into a world and immensely entertained! I’ve done that with my work! Also, I’ve done that in five diverse settings. Lastly, I guarantee they will have an emotional and or thought provoking take away. That’s my thank you from my soul to yours. 14. Did you have a book coach?
No but I am a certified writer coach and mentor. I offer free and paid support through my website bookbestieserv.com 15. What was your favorite subject in school? Boys!!! And foreign language
16. Are you self-published or have an established publishing contract elsewhere?
I am self-published! Amazon.com/author/kayelle216